Latest News, Updates & Emergencies
We will provide information on emergencies, when they occur here:
• No current emergencies to report •
♦♦ If you wish to receive emergency notifications by telephone, sign up using the portal found below. ♦♦
**Protecting Your Plumbing from Freezing Weather**
With the continuing trend of extremely frigid temperatures, water customers are advised to take precautions to prevent their water pipes from freezing and bursting. Some simple steps can help prevent a costly call to the plumber.
- Open cupboard doors under sinks, especially where plumbing is in an exterior wall, to let interior heat warm the pipes.
- Temporarily keep a steady but slow drip of cold water at an inside faucet either farthest from the water meter or at a sink in the highest section of the home, to keep water moving and less likely to freeze. The trickle should be a steady stream, about the size of lead in a pencil.
- Cover foundation vents inside with cardboard, thickly folded newspapers, or foam blocks.
- For extended winter absences, contact HWA to have your water service shut off.
If your pipes freeze:
- Use a heat lamp, electric heater or hair dryer to thaw. Never use an open flame. Heat tape may also be used.
- If lines are frozen, assume they may be broken or split and be prepared to turn water off while thawing pipes. Shut off valves are located near the water meter or where water lines enter the house.
Mobile homes utilize meter pits.
- Purchase leak repair clamps at the hardware store or call your local plumber.
Should an interruption in service occur, contact your neighbor. If they have water, your service is either frozen or your have a leak.
Please call HWA at 888-557-4343 (from 8 AM to 4 PM) or 800-847-6637 (after hours) if you are unable to turn off the water.
Enforcement of a Cross Connection/Backflow Prevention policy adopted earlier this year by directors of Highridge Water Authority has been encouraging. In a last count, over 80% of residential customers are in compliance with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection regulation. The policy was recently updated by Authority directors at its recent February 2019 meeting.
Office Hours & General Information
Office hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday – Friday and we can be reached 24-hours a day should an emergency arise. For general information, have your account number available when contacting us.
Office Fax: 724-459-5629